Tuesday, January 6, 2009

The BIG Hike







Yikes! I have been really delinquent in getting to my blog. I hope I can get a few posts up to make up for it.




First, a few of us had been plotting to take the 100 trail through the Phoenix Mountain Preserve for a while. I guess I was in denial or something, but when Cynthia and I first talked about it, I thought she said it was 7 miles. Then I heard 10. It ended up being 11. I was the slowest of the four of us. (Penny, Cynthia, Melanie and I) At first, I was doing so bad, but as the day progressed and I got more tired and sore, I seemed to lag farther and farther behind. Penny wasn't doing too bad, but she was wearing a new pair of shoes and when we reached her car at the 9.5 mile mark, had to drop out due to blisters. Melanie was way out in front like any rocking 14 year old would be, but somehow she was the one most effected by the sun. She got a little dizzy and wasn't feeling so good. Cynthia was just the rock of consistency that she always is and hiked easily through the whole thing. We figure we had about 5 hours and 40 minutes of actual hiking time. We took one morning break and a lunch break. It was a cool day and yet I was hot by afternoon. That convinced me that I am going to have to pretty early when it just gets a little warmer.
I am just glad I met my goal of finishing. I don't think it's a distance that I feel a need to do very often!
The photos to prove we did it! The top photo is when we started. It's Cynthia, Melanie and Penny.
This one shows that I went too!













Here is our morning break. We still look pretty good. Some of our yummy picnic.
The Cute Miss Melanie at lunch.
And Penny without a hair out of place, but leaning a little to take the weight off of her blisters!

2 comments:

Cynthia said...

That was a fun day. When do you want to do it again?

Unknown said...

That is seriously impressive!