Monday, January 18, 2010

Big Changes on the horizon

I think most of you who read this blog know that I lost a lot of weight over the last couple of years. That being said, I have a lot of extra skin now and it's really ugly. I talked to a lot of doctors about it. I printed out our insurance coverage and read the fine print.
Basically the only thing I can do about it, is go to a plastic surgeon and have it cut off, lifted whatever you want to call it. And there isn't any way I can get insurance to cover it. I know, because I read it carefully. If you have a bunch of sores, rahes or infections directly related to it, they will cover it. But I don't.
So I went to 4 different plastic surgeons and heard what they had to say. I'm telling you, they are nice, but it is an embarrassing process. I think I lost a little bit of my modesty along the way. By the time I got to the last one, it was a lot easier.
It's interesting that they all had very different opinions about what I needed and how it needed to be done. Going through that process though, gave me some confidence in the doctor I chose to use. I can't afford to do all that needs to be done, so I picked the things that bothered me the most and were the most visible, mainly my upper arms and thighs. (brachioplasty and thighplasty)
They do it all at once, in a 5 hour operation. So I am going in on Jan. 26th. I ask for your prayers, good wishes and kind thoughts that day! And hopefully, when all is said and done, I will look a lot better! I have been on line and looked at a lot of before and after photos. My doctor said that even if we don't hit a home run, third base will still look a lot better!
They take some rather humilitating before and after photos at the Dr's office. I took some at home too. But trust me on this, you don't want to see them.

3 comments:

whitesilkpurse said...

I'm sure your careful research will provide good results for your surgery. You are brave and daring. Sometime I'd like to know the "how" of your weightloss plan. The results are lovely. But then, you've always been lovely!

Anonymous said...

so the big day is the 26th! Best to you & quick recovery!

Joyce DiPastena said...

Ah, here's the answer to my Facebook question. Good luck! You'll be in my prayers tomorrow.