Thursday, March 4, 2010

Rez Dogs

I was just up on the Rez for work. I have to say I feel so sorry for Rez dogs. I know that might just be me, but all the dogs I see up there look sad, cold, uncared for, and usually starving. This poor guy was laying in the middle of the parking lot at the Pinon Clinic. It was really cold. He looked miserable.
I also saw a lot of dead dogs along the side of the road. The contrast to my two pampered dogs is pretty stark.


This is the Pinon Clinic. It looks pretty new and nice. But it's really isolated. It took my 5 and about 3/4 hour to get there, one way, from Phoenix. It's not really on the way to anything else. The poor folks who work there have a really hard time getting someone to a hospital if they need to admit them. They are at least 45 minutes from the closest ambulance. And they have to already have a bed assigned at a hospital before one will be dispatched to them. They don't have a helicopter or the ability to call for one. So once you have the delay of getting a bed, then you have a 45 minute ride to Pinon and a 45 minute ride back to the airstrip at Chinle, then you have about an hour and half plane ride and then another ambulance ride to a hospital. You hope they make it after all that delay.

It's a pretty building though.


And here is a photo of the Window in the Rock at Window Rock!




No comments: