Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Arizonan Sonoran Desret Museum/Saguaro National Park

I am on vacation, but not going away really. Today Cynthia and I went on a day trip down to the Arizonan Sonora Desert Museum and Saguaro National Park. Cindy had never been to either. I love the museum. I just hadn't been in years. It is a combination Museum, garden and zoo. It's cool. We got to see a lot of animals. Here is one of the rattlesnakes. Can you see I got him with his tongue out?





And then they have this whole big fake cave they built. They actually have quite a few different displays in it. Including being able to see what you would look like if your ears were the same scale as a bat ears. I think Cindy looks great.
We also got to crawl around through a fake spelunker trail.









Another part of the underground exhibit was a cool mineral display.













Sleepy mountain lion.















White Tailed Deer











Black Bear














Mexican Gray Wolf














Prairie Dogs











Bob Cats













Gray Fox













Javelina













Desert Big Horn Sheep















They have a cool walk in aviary with all kinds of hummingbirds. I took several pics but this one was the best one. If we had spent longer there, I might have gotten some better ones. They are quick buggers.










There is another aviary with all kinds of birds. This is a blue grosbeak. I don't know the difference between a grosbeak and a blue bird. I know the blue birds have a more peaked head, I think.











Then we went hiking in the park. Here I am at the beginning. Before we went continuously up, up, up for a solid hour. I found out that I am Left footed going up hill and Right footed going down hill. I don't have a clue how that works or why.















Lots of expansive views on the trail.











I thought this guy looked like he was trying to hand us something.












And this one looked like he was trying to give up.












Cindy near the top of the trail. It was a fun day. And tomorrow we go to the Grand Canyon!







And finally a raccoon video!




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a great day for the desert! I'm sure you'll have a great time tomorrow!