Sunday, March 11, 2012

REWORKED AVGOLEMONO SOUP

I am often on my protein sparing modified fast diet. Whenever I feel like I have gotten a little out of hand, I put myself back on. It's been four years now. I have gotten more creative lately with recipes and trying to adjust things so that I can eat them. I was looking at a recipe for a Greek soup called Avgolemono. I thought well if it weren't for the rice and the oil, I could eat that. So here is my reworked recipe. It's tart, but nice flavors.

Start with:
1 cup of chicken broth in a large soup pot
add one finely diced onion
3 cloves of diced garlic
Cook until soft. I usually put the lid on to promote softening of veggies without adding oil.
While that is cooking, dice 4 cups of fresh spinach.
After the onions are soft (about 5 to 7) minutes, add the spinach. Add another cup of chicken broth. Put the lid back on the pot to steam the spinach.
Take 1/2 c of fresh lemon juice and put in a jar. Add 2 tsp of arrowroot, 1 beaten egg, 1 tsp kosher salt and 1/2 tsp pepper. Shake to mix.
After spinach is cooked down, slowly add the lemon juice mixture to the bubbling broth, stirring after each addition. It should thicken. Add 1 tsp dried basil and 1 tsp dried parsley or 1 tablespoon each fresh. I usually end up adding about another cup of chicken broth or whatever is left from what I opened (can or carton).
I measure out my meat, so I put 4 oz of cooked chicken in my soup bowl and then add the hot broth to it. If you aren't measuring your meat, I would add two cooked and shredded chicken breasts to the pot.
Enjoy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks and sounds great!