Sunday, March 15, 2009

Home Improvement Part 2- The Deck Tear Out













I have just finished reading a very thought provoking book, Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver. I may do a post just on thougts about that later. One of the things that reading this book has done, is get me to finally figure out a way to put in a garden. I have wanted one for years, but my backyard was too shady and I had too many animals.

I finally decided that if I tore out my deck (which was 22 years old anyway and needed to come out) I could put in some raised planters. I would have enough sun and raising them would keep the animals out. Here are some before and after photos of the tear down. Tomorrow, Sue Ward and I are building the new planters. Then Wednesday I'm going to go get the soil and hopefully get the plants and seeds started either then or Thursday. I'm very excited to grow some of the things that I can then can and eat!















3 comments:

Cynthia said...

wow, that's a big project. I'll bet your backyard looks so different. And I'll bet the light coming into your house is different too. I can't wait to see it tomorrow night.

Auntie Em said...

Looks Great! Looking forward to seeing the planters :) I believe I remember when your deck went it ;)

Anonymous said...

Looking good, it will be so fun and exciting watching and waiting for the produce and what great Satisfaction!