Sunday, May 15, 2011

Garden May 2011

My garden is still doing well. Not everything works out as planned. Between surprizes in the weather (freeze), marauding pets and so on.
This is a photo of my quick harvest before church this morning. My tomatoes are just starting to come on. I have LOTS of green tomatoes. I hope they all live to ripen. I seem to have some competition for harvesting them from my dog, Winston. I have caught him in the middle of my bed eating green tomatoes, three times now. Sigh. Not much I can do about it.
I have also gotten my first zucchini as you can see. I seem to have a "failure in pollinators" for anything in the squash and melon families. I have been trying to do as I was told at the nursery and take a male flower and use it to pollinate the female flowers. The only problem is that I don't always have male and female flowers open at the same time. But I ate my first zucchini today and it was great!
I love the flowers. They stay beautiful for more than a week after I cut them and bring them in.

Here is a view of most of the garden. It's mostly tomatoe jungle. I also have some garden out of view behind this area and some in front that you can't see. The spinach has just finished. I have one chard left. The beets are done. I still have some carrots. I was too agressive in using my cilantro and killed it off. Need to plant some more. My dill and parsley are quite healthy. My basil is coming on, I hope. My very healthy basil got killed off in the freeze this last January. I have several other things developing. I have my own little intensive gardening method. Little space lots of plants. Seems to mostly work.

My little japanese eggplants are setting fruit. They don't get much bigger than about 4 inches.

Bell Peppers starting. All very yummy!

2 comments:

JanetinMN said...

That is an AWESOME AZ garden Suzanne!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful, lots of joy in one's own garden! Hope all turns out well!