Monday, July 7, 2008

Recommending a book

I'm reading Complications: A Surgeon's Notes on an Imperfect Science by Atul Gawande. Dr. Gawande is a surgeon at the Harvard Medical School. As a nurse, I find it really well written in describing how medicine really works instead of how a lot of "lay" people think it works. I listen to people's stories about going to see a doctor and how he/she "got it wrong" and how angry they were ect. They don't seem to have any conception about how medicine is really a very inexact science full of trial and error. This book really gets that point across well, the fallability and earnestness of those who "practice" medicine. And that is what I always tell people, it's a "practice", they are always having to take the information and make guesses at what is going on. If they aren't right they have to keep working at it.
I think the most important facets in choosing a doc, is how well he listens to you and is willing to work with you. If he dismisses what you say and leaps to his own conclusions all the time, you need another doc.
Anyway, I'm not done with this book, but am finding it a fascinating glimpse into the world of medicine and recommend it to everone. It's very readable. It was a National Book award finalist and a New York Times best seller.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree!

Shando said...

I guess its time for me to find a new doctor.

Krazy Kramer has diagnosed me before I even walk in the door and spends about 2 minutes(no joke) with me so thanks for the reminder to move on down the road.

Unknown said...

I like how you call it practicing medicine--true :)