I keep thinking I am going to do a post about movies like Lezlee did. And I may later, but I am not in to movies as much as she is, I think, I am more into music. I think it 's because I drive such long distances and end up listening a lot.
And I am not into ranking so much, I like so many things for such different reasons. So here are just some random musical notes. It's all subjective and I don't expect everyone to agree with me. Why don't you write about your musical favorites too?
1. Beautiful voices- There are some voices that just melt me. Whenever I hear Norah Jones something inside that I didn't even know was knotted, comes undone. I also think Karen Carpenter has a really lovely tone to her voice. Andre Bocelli, Linda Ronstadt, Michael Buble and Sarah Brightman. Those are all probably some of my favorite voices.
2. Beautiful harmonies- Crosby, Stills and Nash, Ladysmith Black Mambazo, The Soweto Gospel Choir, Vocal Point, the Roches and Todd Ruddgren on my Modern A Capella album, all have some really amazing harmonies going on.
3. Favorite new artists or at least new to me-Jason Mraz, he has some really fun songs with some fun words. Feist, discovered her by watching the grammys.
4. Favorite Story tellers- Paul Simon and Gordon Lightfoot are really great story tellers in their songs.
5. Ethnic favorites- Sergio Mendez and Brasil 66. My dad had some of their albums and I fell in love with them too. I just recently downloaded some of their stuff on my IPOD. Love it! Ladysmith Black Mambazo, the Irish Rovers.
6. Childhood memories- I love the 60's and 70's rock and pop that I grew up listening to. Monkees, Beatles, Abba, Turtles, Mammas and the Pappas, Loggins and Messina, Fleetwood Mac. The Kingston Trio, another thing my parents listened to.
7. Somewhat recent discoveries of older artists:I have discovered that I like Prince, the Rolling Stones, Frank Sinatra, Journey. None of them new, I just didn't really figure out how much I liked them until much later.
8.Some favorite Composers- I really like Aaron Copeland and pretty much anything he did. I also really like Vivaldi and have enjoyed the many other pieces he did besides the Four Seasons.
9. Movie Music- There is a lot of movie music to like. I really like the sound track to Man from Snowy River, Henry the V, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and the John Williams pieces. I also like the music to Amistad and Schindlers List.
10. Musicals- I love the Les Miserables sound track, Phamtom of the Opera, Wicked.
11. Christmas Music- I have a bit of a Christmas music collection/obsession. I probably have close to 40 Christmas CD's that I have finally downloaded to my Itunes. I think my favorites are Now that's Christmas, my Andy Williams CD's, Mannheim Steamroller and R. Carlos Nakai.
12. Country Music- I always say I don't do Country music. But there are a few artists I know of and enjoy. Willie Nelson, I like. I have some of the Judds and Wynona Judd. I have some Dixie Chicks, Patsy Cline and a little of Carrie Underwood, Marty Robbins and Roger Miller.
13. Story Songs- I like story songs. I think they were bigger when I was a kid than they are now. Some of them are One Tin Soldier, Ode to Billy Joe, Harper Valley PTO, Big Bad John, The Night Chicago Died, etc. I just think they are fun.
14. People I just like- James Taylor, Eric Clapton, Santana, Anne Murray, Annie Lennox, Avril Lavigne, Badfinger, Barbara Striesand, The Beach Boys, Bonnie Riatt, Bread, Bruce Hornsby, Bruce Springsteen, Elton John, Canadian Brass, The Mormon Tabernacle Choir, Carole King, Carly Simon, Cat Stevens, Cher, Chris Issac, Corinne Bailey Rae, Creedence Clearwater Rivaval, The Doobie Brothers, The BeeGees, Dan Fogelberg, Dave Matthews Band, Don McClean, Donavan, The Doors, Dusty Springfield, Fife and Drum Corp of Colonial Williamsburg, The Four Seasons, George Winston, The Grass Roots, Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass, Huey Lewis, Jewel, Jim Croce, John Denver, John Legend, John Mayer, Johnny Nash, Josh Groban, Judy Collins, Judy Garland, Kansas, Lenny Kravitz, Lisa Loeb, The Lovin' Spoonful, Marc Cohn, Mary Chapin Carpenter, The Moody Blues, Natasha Bedingfield, Neil Diamond, Nelly Furtado, Otis Redding, Paul McCartney, Queen, The Rascals, Roberta Flack, Seal, Shakira, Steve Miller Band, Steve Winwood, Tracy Chapman and Van Morrison. I like more, but these are probably more on top of the pile!
So I'd like to see what everyone else likes!